Orange-scented Steamed Pumpkin
Pumpkin is a very prominent side dish in the islands, that is mostly enjoyed steamed and paired with fragrant spices. Today’s recipe of Orange-scented Steamed Pumpkin is a little bump up from the norm.
INGREDIENTS- ORANGE-SCENTED STEAMED PUMPKIN
Orange zest adds a neat and subtle flavour and aroma to this dish. I know there are some persons who cannot stand pumpkin, mostly because it’s too bland or they just haven’t the slightest clue how to cook it and impart real flavour. I’m glad to share this recipe with you. I am all about simple and easy as can be -most times – and this recipe is no different.
You can steam using a steamer basket or by simply adding a small amount of liquid to a pot. The liquid helps keep the pumpkin moist during the cooking process. For additional orangey-ness (excuse my vocab lol) add some freshly squeezed orange juice. This is indeed an amazing side dish and not to mention a healthy one too.
Enjoy the recipe.
- 1/2 Large Pumpkin
- Orange Juice (fresh)
- Orange Zest (half of the orange) *see notes
- Salt & Pepper
- ADD equal parts water and orange juice (*see notes) to a pot with steamer basket. Add just enough liquid so it doesn't peer through the rack. If not using a rack, add enough liquid to come 1/4 of the way up the pumpkin pieces. Bring to a boil.
- SPOON the seeds out of the pumpkin and save or discard.
- CHOP pumpkin into chunks (about 2-3inches), and season with salt, pepper and orange zest. Add pumpkin to the steamer rack or pot, reduce to medium-low heat and let cook until tender; about 30 minutes.
- REMOVE carefully and serve.
- * Equal parts meaning if you use 1 Cup water use the same 1 Cup Orange Juice.
- * Be sure to zest the orange before cutting into it.