Coconut Milk Bananas
This is one from my mama’s kitchen. Coconut Milk Bananas make an amazing side dish or even a main dish. Not only is it filling and delicious, it’s also vegan!
INGREDIENTS- COCONUT MILK BANANAS
Green banana is under the category we Vincentians like to call “hard food”- food that is starchy and filling. The easiest way to cook green banana is to peel and boil in salted water with a bit of oil, which allows you to enjoy the natural sweetness of the banana. This recipe calls for the addition of coconut milk and a few other flavours. The banana is boiled until tender and the coconut milk is thickened from the starches released from the banana.
Peeling the bananas would be the most challenging part- not difficult, but challenging. You first get a bowl of water set aside to put the bananas in while peeling. Use a small pairing knife and cut the ends off the banana. Make a slit in the banana length-wise on the inner curve, then begin peeling. As you have peeled each banana, place in the bowl of water. I must let you know that your fingers would get sticky as the bananas tend to stain but this can be remedied by rubbing your hands with oil and rinsing under cold water along with hand soap.
This recipe would also make a lovely backyard BBQ side dish.
Enjoy the recipe.
- 5 Green Bananas
- 1.5 Cups Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tbs Green Seasoning
- 1 Tbs Onion (chopped)
- 3 Tbs Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Allspice
- PEEL bananas by cutting off the ends and making a slit length-wise on the inner curve. Place in a bowl of water until finished peeling each one.
- CUT into slices about 1/2 inch- 1 inch thick.
- HEAT oil in a pot and saute bananas until browned on each side. Remove and set aside.
- SAUTE green seasoning and onions until tender; about 1 minute. Add coconut milk, water, lemon juice and remaining seasonings.
- RETURN bananas to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 hr and 30 minutes or until tender and the sauce has thickened.