Chewy Coconut Macaroons
I absolutely love coconut. There is just something about that natural sweetness that is unbeatable. These delicate and chewy coconut macaroons are sure to satisfy that sweet tooth craving.
With only four ingredients you can’t go wrong. I must let you know that this recipe involves the making of a meringue, which is essentially whipped egg whites. It’s not as easy as it sounds so I am going to try my best to explain the pertinent steps to a successful coconut macaroon. The egg whites are whipped to a stage of soft peaks and become slightly glossy and thick. When baked, the meringue renders a light and fluffy macaroon that is beyond pure bliss.
The finished macaroon can be topped or dipped in chocolate for an added level of flavour and attractiveness.
Enjoy the recipe.
- Egg Whites (4) (120g)
- Sugar (100g)
- Salt (1.25g)
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes (414g)
- WHIP whites, sugar and salt to soft peaks.
- FOLD in coconut gently.
- SHAPE into 1.5-2 inch balls and place on baking tray. Bake at 350 degrees until tops are light golden and centers are cooked through.
- Optional- Dip tops in chocolate.
- * Soft peaks are when the egg whites become slightly glossy and thick.
- * Cookies are done when the center is opaque and not wet.